The meanderings of three red-heads under one roof.

This is the story of a family. A family full of gingers living in Sunny San Diego, told by the the lady (I use the term loosely) of the house.


*Allergy Information: Manufactured in a facility sharing equipment with sarcasm, realism and too much information.


Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Challah! 9 points

This was my first real bread recipe ever. I've made loaves from the frozen dough you buy at the store, but I usually manage to botch one out of the three of those. I was really nervous to attempt making dough in my Kitchen Aid mixer. I'm realizing that this must be why people spend zillions of dollars on them. I loved it before this, but now? Whoa. Big crush. Huge. In eight minutes my mixer managed to do a minimum of thirty "by-hand" minutes. Considering I made this during nap time, I was impressed!  I had a beautiful ball of dough.



I let my dough rise, and it took forever. It must have been chillier in my house than I thought.


Eventually, I turned my oven on to 170° and then turned it off and placed my bowl of dough inside the oven. This helped my dough to rise beautifully. Maybe too beautifully. In a panic, I made a fatal error. I didn't do the second rise because I thought I had let it rise too much in the first place.  I rolled it out, braided it, and got ready to bake.


Oops. Although my bread looks beautiful, it isn't the right texture for challah. Honestly, I only know what it should taste like because I used to stop at Einstein Bros. Bagels like, 4 times/week on my way to work before I changed routes and became a Starbucks junkie. I don't love bagels, so I always ordered my egg and cheese breakfast sandwich on the challah bread. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be light, fluffy and just slightly chewy. My challah is dense and heavy. Luckily, it still tastes really good and makes great toast!



Here's why I give this recipe 9 points despite the fact that my actual loaf is closer to a 5 pointer.

1) I loved the book's cheater method for creating the super-fancy braid. My bread looks awesome, and anyone who doesn't read this post will think I know what I'm doing.
2) The ingredients weren't crazy, so I am totally willing to make this again.  I don't feel bad for ruining it, because it's not like I threw away $15 on ingredients. This makes it a "safe" recipe. I can keep trying until I get it right. And maybe once I am successful, I will be able to transfer my new skills over to more complicated loaves.
3) As we've discussed, I'm not HUGE on sweets, but who doesn't need bread? Ok, maybe not people on GF diets. We go through a lot of bread in my house what with having a daycare where PBJs rule the universe. In addition, both Mr. Ginger and The Dude love their simple carbs. Sometimes The Dude just wanders through the house signing/saying, "bread" over and over. He doesn't even need anything on the bread. Just bread.

My first attempt at from scratch bread was not exactly a roaring success but it was good. I learned from my mistakes and next time I will be more patient with my dough. If you think you might need to finally start using your Stand Mixer to it's full potential, check out the original recipe from this week's Bake 52 hostess, Jenn at Zolly Zoo in the Kitchen and challah back at me to let me know how it goes.  (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

This week's blooper:
My first rope died a slow painful death.

3 comments:

  1. Your bread looks great, you'd never know it wasn't perfect inside! I am glad this experience made you want to make more bread! What would we do without mixers? I might die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Looks so good. I thought it was really yummy too. My dough seemed to take forever to rise also... wonder what the deal was?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that looks great! Yours is nice and golden, mine was a touch on the dark side. I am hoping we get to do some more with bread this year! I really enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete