The meanderings of three red-heads under one roof.

This is the story of a family. A family full of gingers living in Sunny San Diego, told by the the lady (I use the term loosely) of the house.


*Allergy Information: Manufactured in a facility sharing equipment with sarcasm, realism and too much information.


Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Quiche- 5 points

As part of the "Feed the Gingers" New Year Resolution, I have joined Bake 52.  For each of the Bake 52 recipes I bake this year, I will award 0-10 points.  The points awarded will be based on ease, success, taste, appearance and popularity among my testers.  This is completely subjective and most likely unfair to the recipes.  Our first recipe comes courtesy of Ms. Clare Petersen Utley at Tylerandclare@blogspot.com and our fabulous Bake 52 cookbook, The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book.  


I was terrified to make quiche, so naturally I decided to bake it for Christmas breakfast.  If it was going to bomb, I wanted everyone to suffer.  On Christmas Eve I made the crust, which was my first point of error.  I made the cheater crust because I have never ever ever made a crust before and I was intimidated.  Although the easy crust from the book was super yummy, it is most likely a pie crust.  Like, fruit or chocolate pie, not egg/spinach/feta pie.  But whatever.  It worked.  Quiche has a lot of rules.  Quiche is like a stuck up sorority freshman at an Ivy League school.  

"Don't make it too early.  Don't let it sit too long, but it needs to sit for HOURS before eating.  The crust needs to be warm when you add the eggs.  Not TOO warm... great!  You ruin everything!"

Anyway, after crunching the numbers in my head, I realized that breakfast quiche requires you to wake up early, so I did everything I could to prep it the night before.  I still had to get up early on Christmas Day (who am I kidding?  We have a toddler.  We were up.)  Luckily my sweet Mr. Ginger remember the delicate nature of a quiche's temperament, probably from being married to me, and preheated the oven before 7:00 a.m.  Good thing too, because my Bailey's and Coffee had not kicked in and I surely was not thinking of pastry.   

Whilst Ms. Prissy Pants Quiche baked, we opened presents and look what Grandma Steve got me!



I am classy lass to say the least, and I FINALLY have oven mitts and an apron. I opened them just in time to remove Her Ladyship Quiche from the oven.  As you can see from the first picture, the crust got a little too brown on the edges. Other than that and the sweet crust issue, it was better than I would have expected.    The filling was lovely and I'm not sure I can find fault with anything eggy, cheesy AND spinachy.  I am not sure I'll be making it again anytime soon, though.  If I make a quiche it will be this one from Real Simple:

                                          Simple Spinach Quiche
Mr. Ginger and I have made this one a few times and it is fool-proof.  LOVE.  But, it isn't exactly gratifying the way that baking something utterly self-righteous is.  All in all, we're off to a good start!  Happy New Year, y'all!



2 comments:

  1. Your post was so fun to read. Loved it. :) Also so jealous of that way cute apron!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you're giving each a # 1-10, such a good idea! Love the apron!!

    ReplyDelete